default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Club manager: Gun shot would have happened elsewhere - Capital Journal: News

Club manager: Gun shot would have happened elsewhere

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:00 am

FORT PIERRE — Despite some recent scathing internet comments directed at the establishment, most residents don’t want to see the Hop Scotch Club dancers out of work.

Following an alleged shooting incident at the club two weeks ago, the Capital Journal Web site was abuzz with comments on both sides of the argument.

Subscription Required

Have an online subscription?

Need an online subscription?

You must login to view the full content on this page.

© 2015 Capital Journal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Thank you for reading 5 free articles on our site. You can come back at the end of your 30-day period for another 5 free articles, or you can purchase a subscription and continue to enjoy valuable local news and information. If you need help, please contact our office at 605-224-7301 or click here for step by step instructions. You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Have an online subscription?

Need an online subscription?

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

22 comments:

• posted at 5:30 pm on Sun, Feb 3, 2008.

Posts:

I dont think age has anything to do with the bar people under 21 have to live in Fort Pierre too and last I checked you are an adult at age 18 and i think Mr. Stoeser had the right to comment and how can the Hop bother so many of you unless all of you people are going out to the bars because there are not enough houses around main street in Fort Pierre for you to all live around the establishment so I dont see how this could bother you people unless you go out to the bars

• posted at 5:18 pm on Tue, Jan 15, 2008.

Posts:

I've never been afraid to face anyone or converce my opinions about whatever whenever (First Ammendment-Freedom of Speech). However you are correct about one thing and it's that I never speak to blacks and only because my second language is Spanish and I don't know even one word of Ebonics so I leave that up to naive WF's and Highschool Wiggers and as they say in the poker game of life call a Spade a Spade and a Diamond a Diamond. Also SHAME ON YOU! for being so racist against people who don't share you Rainbow Opinion!!

• posted at 7:54 am on Tue, Jan 15, 2008.

Posts:

The Hop Scotch has been a sleeze bag operation for years along with their strip teasers and their pimps. It amazes me that people need this in their life, but I guess if you gotta go to snifters row, then you gotta go. By the way, I like what the Priest says. Its not up to him to judge and it shouldn't be up to us. If this is what drives out city, then so be it.

• posted at 5:19 am on Mon, Jan 14, 2008.

Posts:

"The Real World" with your racist comments I bet you won't show your face or even speak to blacks to there face......

• posted at 5:08 am on Thu, Jan 10, 2008.

Posts:

Craziness says it all in one statement " mad black man shoots to kill !!!" Can we take that as a threat or reality? and should we coil our ropes and oil our holsters in self defense? OMG LOL!!!!

• posted at 4:55 am on Thu, Jan 10, 2008.

Posts:

I read that article and failed to see where the M.S. was meet in prison, I thought that this refered to the Womens Prison. When you got out of college maybe you should have moved on with your "Gentlemen" beliefs to the Armed Forces, East St. Louis, Gary,Ind. or No.Omaha,NE I'm sure that your Caucasion Welcoming would have been a real eye opener to say the least! As the numbers grow so will the problems and crime. I wouldn't trade a whole bus load of Intoxicated Native Americans for one M.S. God Bless N.A.'s and WP!!.

• posted at 8:07 am on Wed, Jan 9, 2008.

Posts:

I think REAL WORLD needs to reconsider the statement about naive SD girl attracting imported black male. I met black males when i went to college in 1982 -- Northern State; not prison. And i must admit the African Americans were TRUE gentleman. Maybe its the lifestyle of SD that they like. I can't wait for NEW drama -- this whole situation is CRAZY -- close the Hop; mad black man shoots to kill !!! I was taught that GOOD people are capable of making bad decisions. Don't adult animals protect their young ?? Thought so.

• posted at 8:18 am on Wed, Jan 2, 2008.

Posts:

I think YOU need to wake up to the real facts of life, and shame on you for import comment.

• posted at 12:40 pm on Mon, Dec 31, 2007.

Posts:

I can't believe a priest "isn't certain" that the place should close??

• posted at 7:45 am on Mon, Dec 31, 2007.

Posts:

Oh no - something happened at the Hop Scotch so we had better close it down. With all of the killings that occur at schools, maybe we had better close them all too. And, oh my, some shootings at a church. Let's close those down too. A legislator is a convicted rapist - better discontinue the legislature. There - that is as ridiculous as some of you are sounding. Bad things happen because of bad PEOPLE. They are to blame, not the location.

• posted at 7:17 am on Mon, Dec 31, 2007.

Posts:

I CONTINUE TO FIND IT RATHER RIDICULOUS THAT THIS WHOLE BLOWN-OUT-OF-PROPORTION INCIDENT IS STILL FOCUSED ON THE HOP. WHY WOULD THE PLACE HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT ? 75% OF PEOPLE THAT COME TO PIERRE EITHER HEAD TO THE HOP ON THEIR OWN OR ASK DIRECTIONS TO GET THERE; THE OTHER 25% ARE LOCALS - FARMERS, BUSINESS MEN, ATTORNEYS, LEGISLATURES, FIREMEN, POLICE ETC. -- I HAVE SEEN THEM ALL ! ACTUALLY THE WAY KIDS BUMP-N-GRIND @ LONGBRANCH IS WORSE THAN THE HOP. DROP THE HOP AS THE JUDGE DID THE CHARGES; ATTEMPT WAS THE ONLY CHARGE.

• posted at 4:08 am on Mon, Dec 31, 2007.

Posts:

Why does it have to be a moral issue? Who says that the right wing christian conservatives are right? It's always that way. I grew up going to church and let me just say...religion is taught just as much as racisim at an early age. It DOES not make it right. If people want to go to the hop, let them, and stop judging. One last note, So I just want to know in the land of Church goers... so who has it right? The Catholics, Lutherans, Jahovahs, or Buddists? Just wondering...

• posted at 3:51 am on Mon, Dec 31, 2007.

Posts:

I'm not a patron of the Hop, been there maybe twice in the last 25-30 years. However, it's like any other business and if you don't want to go there no one is forcing you to go. There are some local businesses that I don't like so I don't shop or eat at them. That doesn't mean I think they should be closed. Let the market decide what businesses open or close.

• posted at 1:32 am on Sun, Dec 30, 2007.

Posts:

Let me start out by saying that The Hop is hardly a real strip club. Most of the buisness comes in after 1:00 am to get a few more drinks after the Pierre bars close. The girls are rarely dancing then. The patrons are there drink. The Silver Spur used to be a more violent place than the Hop ever was. It has since closed down and Ft.Pierre should be thankful for that. People, wake up these things happen and here it's a once in every ten year occurence. If this happens again tomorrow then feel free to demand change.

• posted at 12:05 pm on Fri, Dec 28, 2007.

Posts:

The Hop Scotch didn't cause this incident and shoild not be chastised for it. The real problem is in the simple formula here. (Naive SD Country Girl + Imported Black Male = Hate Crimes) so get used to it because this is just the beginning, Thanks for the Womens Prison for bringing these Imports here to wait for their Womans release, then they fail to leave.
    Wake up to the real facts of life people!!!!

• posted at 6:58 am on Thu, Dec 27, 2007.

Posts:

The talk on the Web site seems to be just that — talk. The city has not received any calls regarding the club, Mayor Sam Tidball said.

Neither has the Fort Pierre Development Corporation, said executive director Dave Bonde.

Above are quotes. I know they have received calls. 421412525, you know your facts before trying to debate.

• posted at 5:25 am on Thu, Dec 27, 2007.

Posts:

Oh good, an update of the same story to start the same debate over again.

• posted at 2:48 am on Thu, Dec 27, 2007.

Posts:

Amazing, can you read? It says that the Mayor and the ED for the development corp have not recieved any calls. It does not say they are supporting the business. READ! As for the money, the quote is from Hunter Stoeser, not the Mayor and ED for FPDC. Again, READ. Western SD has always been a very independent area. Kind of "You do your thing, I'll do mine". If you don't like it, don't go there and don't look down your noses at those that do.

• posted at 1:55 am on Thu, Dec 27, 2007.

Posts:

I don't frequent the bar either - but they have a right to own and run an establishment just like anyone else. Who knows someone in Walmart or JC Penneys might be packing and the gun goes off - would you close those businesses??

• posted at 12:25 pm on Wed, Dec 26, 2007.

Posts:

Seems to me that the focus should be on other ways to bring money into the city coffers instead of some transient dancer's G-string. The shooting would probably have happened anywhere, this is true, but we don't need this type of place in our community. You want male bonding? Try Promisekeepers or something like that instead of a sleazy bar with obnoxious local drunks and half naked women and their pimp managers. You're all disgusting.

• posted at 9:21 am on Wed, Dec 26, 2007.

Posts:

You quoted a local Fort Pierre resident, Hunter Stoeser, regarding a story about the Hop Scoth, a bar with exotic dancers. He is under the age of 21. It would seem more appropriate to interview or quote someone that is at least of legal age or older. He isn't even someone who could legally enter the establishment.

• posted at 7:07 am on Wed, Dec 26, 2007.

Posts:

It is amazing how our local mayor and our development coordinator for Ft. Pierre support this crap hole. It shows that all they think about is how much money it brings the city. How about you quit thinking about the money and look for the ethical and moral issues places like this bring to the community.

Online poll »