default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Pierre man defends self; found not guilty - Capital Journal: News

Pierre man defends self; found not guilty

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 12:00 am

PIERRE — A Pierre man serving a prison sentence in Wyoming was found not guilty Monday afternoon in Hughes County for aggravated assault.

Each juror said they agreed with the verdict and found that Ken Rushing did not hit Chris Granados over the head with a baseball bat Dec. 31, 2006, fracturing his skull and forcing him to be airlifted to Rapid City for medical treatment.

Subscription Required

Have an online subscription?

Need an online subscription?

You must login to view the full content on this page.

© 2015 Capital Journal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Thank you for reading 5 free articles on our site. You can come back at the end of your 30-day period for another 5 free articles, or you can purchase a subscription and continue to enjoy valuable local news and information. If you need help, please contact our office at 605-224-7301 or click here for step by step instructions. You need an online service to view this article in its entirety.

Have an online subscription?

Need an online subscription?

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

16 comments:

• posted at 9:53 pm on Sun, Nov 22, 2009.

Posts:

I have personally known Ken for many years. He is a kind and giving person. To think that the police and the state attorney's office is incompetent, is not a surprise for me. People in Pierre have always been victims of poor professional representation. Way to go, Ken.

• posted at 12:41 pm on Fri, Oct 9, 2009.

Posts:

Bat. Check. Repeat Offender. Check. Prison. Check. Criminal History Of Assault. Check. Admits Personal Experience Using Bat Before. Check. "Anytime I've Done Something, I've Admitted To It." Check? Wait now...Hmmmm...so HE DID voluntarily give himself up to the authorities when he repeatedly committed this type of crime? So what I believe and what others (or you) may believe; it's a NO BRAINER. Okay, okay, possibly poor legal representation; jurors who may or may not have needed assistance in staying awake (bat anyone?, I mean coffee anyone?) Still can't get over that 46 minutes.

• posted at 5:49 pm on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Posts:

just from knowing ken and his previous actions, if someone is hit with a bat or a pipe and he is around, you can bet he did it. you dont see batters swing their bats vertically. they do it it horizontally. its scary that you can be assaulted very viciously and have the assailant walk away free. leaves me with absolutely no faith in the system

• posted at 2:54 pm on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Posts:

First off the SA did exactly what she was paid to do take the case to trial. Mr. Rushing has a long criminal history of assault which is exactly why he is in PRISON in Wyoming. The case itself yes had it's flaws but when one witness reads from the defendants copy of the police report that he was the only person seen with a bat after being asked by the defendant what the report said then the defendant later admits from "personal experience" he knows a clubbing would have caused more damage it comes down to poor jurors.

• posted at 10:11 am on Thu, Oct 8, 2009.

Posts:

I'd hire him to be my attourney over someone who actually went to law school if I could. It's brilliant.

• posted at 5:34 pm on Wed, Oct 7, 2009.

Posts:

It's too bad we have such an incompetent county prosecutor. Let's hope next election things change. It's beyond comprehension this guy could represent himself and win. I hope this doesn't set a precedent for other to take their cases to trial...Hughes county would lose many more trials with our current representation in the SA's position.

• posted at 5:23 am on Mon, Oct 5, 2009.

Posts:

Whether the law was followed or not the evidence presented even in the reporting of the trial was a "no brainer". The law does have consistency and clarification of truths that are probably beyond our comprehension. Its when we choose to use in such a way is it truly justice and it works they it is supposed to. I am saddened at the rationale that is employed when such compromised values are implemented within such a helpful and just system.

• posted at 9:41 pm on Sun, Oct 4, 2009.

Posts:

That is true, like it or not, it is in the prosecutor's hands. Sad but true. "Repeat" offenders have the privilege of defending themselves. They can share their experience with a baseball bat in their defense; you bet this can enlighten anyone, I guess. I was brought up to trust the system & that the truth will prevail. Naive or not, I still believe that. However, I still believe Karma will hit Rushing & any other party in the head, they deserve it. Like it or not. Oh and "One Juror", thank you for the comment & 46 minutes.

• posted at 12:19 pm on Fri, Oct 2, 2009.

Posts:

As a juror in this case, the law was followed and applied as it was written. The evidence presented and the investigation that was done was severly lacking. The decision was correct with the information we were presented with. Justice isn't always fair or what we feel it should be, but as long as the law is followed as it was written and not re-written by jurys, the system works and justice remains in the hands of the people as it should. Like it or not, it is still up to the prosecutors to prove their cases.

• posted at 2:02 am on Thu, Oct 1, 2009.

Posts:

I'm "amazed" at verdicts that end up as this one did, it's frightening to think this is the type of justice that was designed to protect all People of the United States. I am saddened to see that rationale outweighs justice in this decision...

• posted at 5:11 pm on Wed, Sep 30, 2009.

Posts:

This instills absolutely no confidence in our county's "state's attorney." What a joke. If you can't prosecute this case, you have no business being involved with the judicial system in this country. This woman is a detriment to the taxpayers. She was out-lawyered by the guy in the picture? I would have immediately resigned, instead of giving comment to the newspaper.

• posted at 11:09 am on Wed, Sep 30, 2009.

Posts:

I think the jury got it wrong. For starters: The "when I hit somebody in the head with a baseball bat before" scenario seems like a neon-sign clue to me.

• posted at 4:43 pm on Tue, Sep 29, 2009.

Posts:

Looks like the unfortunate folks who draw jury duty will get plenty of time to sit and watch our tax dollars go down the drain. We've been dealing with a long stretch of state's attorneys limited in their capability of representing Hughes co properly. I would be embarrassed.

• posted at 1:38 pm on Tue, Sep 29, 2009.

Posts:

In one way I'm not surprised at the verdict; however, in another I am shocked that this person was found not guilty. He's a man short in stature; he could swing a bat in a children's playhouse and hit someone. I'm Chris' mother and I viewed the freshly treated wounds that were inflicted upon him. I'm the one that received the phone call that he was being airlifted to RC. I hope karma hits Rushing in the head, he deserves it.

• posted at 3:54 am on Tue, Sep 29, 2009.

Posts:

I think this verdict shows that the States Attorney is unwillling to negotiate anything. Her practice now involves indicting virtually everything, including class 1 misdemeanors. Get ready for more jury trials based on her unreasonableness.

• posted at 3:04 am on Tue, Sep 29, 2009.

Posts:

Bat swinging guy who represents himself 1. Hughes co. state's attorney 0. Hope we don't have to rely on our government paid attorneys too often to be protected.

Currently: 65°