At an annual meeting held in Sioux Falls June 21-22, Harold Ireland, of Piedmont, was tapped to lead more than 5,000 Masons in South Dakota for the next year as their Grand Master Mason, a title that dates back to 1700s England.
Also elected were Jason Swindler of Mitchell, as Deputy Grand Master; and Jeff VanCuren, of Rapid City, as Senior Grand Warden;. Dan Nace of Sioux Falls was elected Junior Grand Warden while Terry Knutson of Sioux Falls was elected Grand Treasurer/Secretary.
Other appointed officers include:
- John McKnight, Rapid City, Grand Chaplin
- Kendig Bergstresser, Sioux Falls, Grand Orator
- Tony Larson, Mobridge, Grand Marshal
- Dane Bloch, Sioux Falls, Senior Grand Deacon
- LaMont Morrow, Custer, Junior Grand Deacon
- Allen Bishop, Hermosa, Senior Grand Steward
- Todd Knutson, Spearfish, Junior Grand Steward
- Timothy Helms, Sturgis, Grand Standard Bearer
- Bryant Stokes, Rapid City, Grand Sword Bearer
- Michael Lamb, Jr., Grand Pursuivant, Rapid City
- Justin Stanek, Pierre,Grand Historian,
- James Frey, Avon, Grand Musician,
- Brian Teller, Buffalo, Grand Tyler
The Masons of South Dakota are currently planning the Masonic Cornerstone Ceremony as part of the 100th Anniversary Celebration of the dedication of Mt. Roosevelt scheduled for 10 a.m. on July 6 at the Friendship Tower in Deadwood.
Masonry, a benevolent, educational and charitable organization is the world’s oldest and largest fraternity of men dedicated to helping each other and contributes to the betterment of society.