A small fire started from “unattended cooking,” Sunday evening in Pierre, emptying the apartment building, but causing no real damage, said Fire Chief Ian Paul.

“The fire on the stove top was out when we got there,” Paul said. “We just had to ventilate the building, remove the smoke. Everyone was able to return to their apartments."

The call came in about 8:30 p.m., Sunday, May 17, to a two-story apartment building in the 600 block of West Dakota Avenue, across Dakota from Steamboat Park.

Several fire trucks and a dozen and more members of the Pierre Volunteer Fire Department quickly hit the scene, along with Pierre police officers, state Highway Patrol troopers and Hughes County Sheriff’s deputies to block off traffic.

Residents of the building watched as firefighters made sure everyone was safe and placed a red fan on the sidewalk outside the entrance door for ventilation.

“No one was injured,” Paul said.

The residents who gathered in the parking lot to watch firefighters were back inside about 30 minutes after evacuating.

By about 9:15 p.m., most of the emergency responders had left the scene.

Load comments